How To Keep Your Clear Aligners Clean
Clear aligners are a highly popular way to correct misaligned teeth. Transparent and virtually invisible, they are becoming the preferred option for people with minor to moderate malocclusions or misalignments.
If you want to keep your aligners transparent, then you need to pay special attention to your everyday habits.
What Are Clear Aligners?
Clear aligners are an alternative to traditional metal braces for people who want a more discreet orthodontic treatment. The plastic trays are transparent and custom-made to perfectly fit over your teeth. Their role is to slowly move the teeth into the correct position.
How to Keep Your Aligners Clean
The best way to maintain your clear aligners is to clean them regularly.
- Rinse your aligners with water every time you remove them from your mouth. This will help to remove any food particles or saliva that may have accumulated on them.
- Brush your aligners with a soft-bristled toothbrush and gentle soap. Avoid using toothpaste as it's too harsh and can leave a residue on the aligners.
- Prepare a special solution of half water and half hydrogen peroxide and soak your aligners in for 30 minutes once a week to kill any bacteria.
- Clean your teeth before putting your aligners back in your mouth. This way you will make sure that no food particles will linger on your teeth while wearing the aligners.
Tips and Tricks for Keeping Your Aligners Clean
Here are a few tips that will make keeping your aligners clean easier:
- Keep your aligners in their case when you are not wearing them.
- Only drink water when wearing your aligners. Coffee or sugary drinks can damage the aligners and increase the risk of tooth decay.
- Use a straw when drinking any liquid, including water, while wearing your aligners. This will prevent the liquid from coming into contact with the aligners and will reduce the risk of staining.
- Brush and floss your teeth thoroughly before putting your aligners back in your mouth to prevent food particles from getting trapped between your teeth and the aligners.
What to Avoid
Keep this in mind if you want to keep your aligners clean:
- Do not use hot water to clean your aligners as it can cause them to lose their shape.
- Do not use toothpaste to clean your aligners. Toothpaste is too abrasive and can scratch the surface of the aligners, making them more prone to staining.
- Do not eat anything while wearing your aligners to avoid staining or damaging them. Don't drink staining or acidic beverages either. You can only drink water with your aligners on.
Interested in Clear Aligners? Get in Touch with Us
Clear aligners require a bit of maintenance, but the team at Insight Dental Group will make sure to give you all the information you need so that you make the most out of your treatment.
Call us at (713) 623-0700 or send us a message online to book your appointment.